34-Star Union Flag, 1861
Courtesy History Colorado, WR.1104
Photo by Blair Clark
On August 18, 1861, the Ladies of Denver presented this flag to the recently formed First Colorado Infantry, Company D. Each applique star was stitched by hand. The flag and its bearer advanced to New Mexico and served at the Battle of Glorieta. Though beaten and battered, the flag was returned to its home in Colorado. Michael Ivory, one of its color-bearers, held onto the piece, which was later donated to the Colorado Historical Society.
Note: Representative image at left is often cropped for display purposes. Downloaded high-resolution images are not cropped.